Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sinnia Brown Final Project: Unravel Me

Berklee is not a walk in the park. My goal in coming here was to better myself as a person and a musician. I had many challenges in my first semester, but I made it through.  I had many  falls down the steps, off of my bed, and randomly down the steps this semester and had to deal with a lot of stress. One of the them being, trying to get to classes on time when you're in pain and struggling can be quite a lot to deal with. I also faced a lot of hardship with ear training. SOL SOL SOL SOL LA SOL DO SOL DO RE.... (Let it be by The Beatles) I struggled a lot in that class  with learning my theory. I'm proud to say that I over came a lot of my fears with both oral and written theory and feel a lot more comfortable.


While at home, I would watch videos of Berklee Students performing in Loft Sessions and in February I was able to perform in the same place as so many great artist before me.
 Sinnia Brown ft. Irena Leslie, Denzel, Anna, & Cam


I've learned that I write bad charts, and my band does't appreciate it because most of it was wrong. Victor and Irena could tell you.
Irena made corrections because I used a capo and bad website instead of relying on the skills I was learning at
Berklee about transposing. 
I learned what it was like to start my own band with people I hardly knew, and work with different personalities and cultures. It turned out to be quite a joyful experience.
My Band Sinnia Brown & Kawan got to perform at
Berklee Spring Fest Patio show. 



My lovely band Victor, Leslie, myself, Tony, Irena, and Denzel.
I gained MANY computer skills, and have done things that I never imagined myself doing.... Finale for example. I learned to properly compose  full scores with A melody, chord progressions, drums, and bass. 




I had the opportunity to research the life of Mr. Frank Ocean and in doing so, I realized a lot about 
myself and the type of artist and writer I would like to become. Frank Ocean is a story teller and a quiet storm so to speak. He pretty much stays out of the spot light with ghost writing and isn't very open about his private life despite his, "coming out" about being bisexual.  I would like to be that type of artist; someone who is talented, driven, open, yet still able to be private and expressing thy self through music. 

"The idea of recognizing your strengths and using them in as versatile a way as you can is cool to me."
                                                                         -Frank Ocean






I see my next for 5 years at Berklee being a very bright future. I've already declared my major, Music Education and plan to dual major in performance as well. I see myself and my band doing great things. I have so many plans I can barley comprehend.  I want to fully immerse myself within Berklee and take all that it has to offer next semester. I want to have a steady job, and book gigs all over Boston. I plan to have my very own cafe show next spring. 
I've learned that you have to roll with the punches. Life will throw a lot of curve balls in your path, and instead of trying to dodge them, my goal is to hit them straight out of the park. 
Just wait and see....Unravel Me.
 -Sinnia Brown 







No comments:

Post a Comment